Skip to content

How Do You Get Your Motorcycle License in WA

For some people, just fancying a motorcycle is purpose enough for ordering one. However, there are other advantages to owning a motorcycle other than meeting a desire. These reasons may help you persuade others that purchasing a motorcycle is more than just knowing what you want. 

Owning a motorcycle means a lot. It offers affordability when transporting since you will be using your own motorcycle. On average, a motorcycle gets about half of a car of the same age and quality. With the cost of fuel developing, driving a motorcycle can deliver quite a little money, while doing good for the environment. A mid-sized motorcycle regularly burns about 35 to 60 mpg, depending on whether you do most utmost of your driving in the city or on highways. Locating a place to park is much more comfortable on a motorcycle. If construction has designated motorcycle parking, it is most suitable to be up close. 

But owning a motorcycle and driving is not that easy. You will also need to follow rules that have been set by the Department of Transportation. You will need to get a license before you can roam around WA. 

Below are the guides and requirements before you can get a license in WA:

Apply for a learner’s permit

You can apply for an R-N learner’s permit at 15 years and six months of age or an R-E learner’s license at 16 years of age. If you have not earlier held a driver’s license, you must understand the same methods for someone getting their license for the first hand.

This will involve reaching a motorcycle theory examination, hazard comprehension test and practical riding evaluation as well as finishing a minimum of 50 supervised driving hours (comprising five night-time hours) in a Learner Guide and Log Book if applying for an R-E class or a motorcycle theory test and practical riding assessment if applying for an R-N level.

Learn to ride

In this step you must begin to perform 50 hours of supervised riding (including five night-time hours): Restraints include sustaining a zero BAC, you necessity not ride in fields where learners are not allowed, you must not pass 100km/h at any time, you need to ride a LAMS-approved motorcycle, and you must wear an approved headgear. 

Pass a Hazard Perception Examination

Six months from the due date of your learner’s permit, and once you have attained 16 years and six months of age, you can take the Hazard Perception Test. This test is intended to evaluate your ability to react to various traffic situations and to make safe driving choices. The analysis emphasizes a series of moving traffic displays. 

Pass the Practical Driving Assessment

The goal of the PDA is to decide whether your driving skills, your response to road risks, and your capacity to apply road rules consider you to be a qualified rider. Age Requirement: Minimum 17 years of age. To sit a PDA, you must bring your Learner Guide and Log Book with you, submit your declaration and ride a LAMS approved motorcycle.

Receive your Provisional License

When you have successfully finished the Practical Driving Assessment, you will be given a temporary driver’s license. License valid for one year. The following conditions apply: zero BAC, display white ‘P’ on the red plate (first six months) then green plate (18 months), must not drive between night and 5.00am for first six months, must ride a LAMS-approved motorcycle, and must wear an accredited helmet.

Receive your Full License

Demands fulfilment of the provisional period (minimum two years). Still confused about the LAMS restrictions and laws? You’re not the only one. Read more here.

Leave a Comment